Georgian Rectory For Sale in Co. Cork
A fine Georgian rectory dated c1790 in need of modernisation set in a wonderful position on the Lee with extensive river frontage and c 23 acres.
Building Energy Rating: Exempt
Last update: 16th May 2018
Agent: Michael H Daniels & Co.
Contact: Michael Daniels
Tel.: +353 (0)25 31023
Email: click here…
Approached by entrance piers with electric iron gates and gravel driveway leading to a forecourt, Macloneigh House is well-situated only 3 km from Macroom yet tucked away off a side-road in a private and secluded setting surrounded by many mature trees. Overlooking its own lands which slope gently down to the Lee, the river forms the boundary of the property to two sides.
The imposing two-storey house has a five-bay front with well-proportioned and bright accommodation with large sash windows and high ceilings (3.35 m). In need of renovation but with many original period features throughout, the gross internal floor area extends to some 342 sq m (3680 sq ft). The impressive accommodation includes entrance and staircase halls, three reception rooms and five bedrooms. The property was re-roofed in the 1980s and the windows overhauled in 2000.
Directly adjoining the house to the rear is a fine stone yard with a range of traditional outbuildings, part-lofted, with huge potential for a number of uses including conversion to further accommodation or rental properties, subject to necessary consents. The yard has direct access to the public road and gates off to the walled garden. There is also a separate concrete yard located a short distance from the house with its own access to the public road and comprising modern steel portal-frame buildings, a hay barn together with lean-to cattle shed and cattle crush.
The ruin of Macloneigh Church is located within the boundaries. The first record of a church here dates to 1199, with evidence suggesting that the ruins are the site of St. Finbarr’s first church. The present church was built in late medieval times and has been a ruin since c 1700. According to William Brady’s Clerical and Parochial Records of Cork, Cloyne and Ross, published in 1863, a new rectory house was built at Macloneigh in the 1790s and completed by 1797. Earlier, Lewis’s Topographical Survey of Ireland of 1837 confirmed ‘a glebe-house, a neat mansion, standing on a glebe of 48 acres of good land with the ruins of the old church situated nearby, of rude construction’.
Cork city and International Airport lie within easy reach, with rapid access via the N22 to the city ring road (25 minutes). Macroom provides a comprehensive range of shopping, leisure and financial services together with pubs and restaurants. The area provides some of the finest fishing to the Rivers Lee and Bandon with golf at Macroom, Killarney, Blarney and Lee Valley. The lakes and mountains of Killarney, together with the beaches of West Cork are within an hours’ drive. Hunting is with the Muskerry and South Union with racing at Mallow (Cork Race Course) and Killarney. The Gearagh Walk starts some 5 minutes’ away whilst Gougane Barra Forest Park is 30 minutes’ distant.
Macloneigh House is listed as a Protected Structure in Cork County Council Development Plan 2014 (Entry No. 00280) and as such, under the terms of the Energy Performance of Buildings Regulations 2006, Statutory Instrument SI 666 of 2006, it is exempted from the requirement to have a BER Certificate.
Approximate location of Macloneigh House, Macroom, Co. Cork