Self-Catering Accommodation at Castletown Round House
Castletown Round House
Three bedroom house at the pedestrian entrance to Castletown House.
No honeymoon for us, nor even a special occasion – just a chance to get away. And we couldn’t have chosen a better place to do so!
Phone turned off, no tv, lots of wine and scrabble. Peace and quiet all around.
We had a great weekend here, it was everything we imagined it would be and more. Thanks for a very warm welcome.
The Round House at Castletown is one of three adjoining gatelodge buildings – known separately as The Round House, The Pottery and The Gate House. It is situated at the pedestrian entrance to Castletown House, the largest and most significant Palladian country house in Ireland.
Prominently positioned at the top of the main street in Celbridge, the Round House is located across from the quaint Church of Ireland Christ Church, built in 1884, which retains the majestic tower of an earlier church. This beautiful house provides the opportunity for a delightful getaway from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
The Round House with its bowed entrance was probably the first house to be built on the site. Originally it was a single square bay with a small square projecting entrance. Part of the Lodge has a steep roof, heavy roof beams with thick walls and corner fireplaces inside which all suggest an early eighteenth century construction date.
Approximate location of Castletown Round House, Celbridge, Co. Kildare