Huntsman’s House is believed to have been built in 1900 by the Kildare Hunt for their huntsman. In 1911 Eustace Mansfield granted the house to Henry L Mansfield, descendants to the Mansfields of Morristown Lattin. Henry was also a member of the 15th battalion of the Lancashire fusiliers during World War one. Huntsman’s house underwent renovations in 1994 and a handwritten letter was discovered behind an old wardrobe. The letter was written by Henry Mansfield to his parents dated 1915, the night before his battalion went to the front.
Huntsman’s House is an exceptional 2 storey house set on about 1.5 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds. This impressive property combines the best of original classic Edwardian architecture with tasteful and sympathetic additions designed by award-winning architect Paul Brazil.
Set over two floors, the impressive accommodation extends to about 484 sq m / 5,209 sq ft and comes to the market in excellent condition. On the ground floor, which is ideally suited for families, the three period, formal living spaces to the front of the house are well laid out and light filled while the ‘everyday’ living quarters to the rear of the house are cosy, comfortable and ideal for modern family living. There are 5 reception rooms in total including a country style, open plan kitchen / dining room with access to an outside dining terrace.
Upstairs there is a magnificent master suite with two walk-in wardrobes and an ensuite. There are a further 5 bedrooms with 3 ensuite. Most of the rooms have feature high ceilings, bright aspects, and views of the gardens. There is also a family bathroom that is well presented.
Gardens & Grounds
One of the most attractive features of Huntsman House is the outside space. Originally designed by Elma Fenton, a silver medallist at the Chelsea Flower Show, the garden is laid to lawn with a perimeter of mature hedging and trees. The privacy the garden offers is unrivalled as well as the peaceful atmosphere the garden creates. The west facing aspect means that the garden is used year-round especially in the summer when the current owners can dine on the terrace just off the kitchen.
The canal adjoins the property on the west side. The owners and their children have enjoyed this amenity for many years using the canal for all types of water activities.
There is also a spacious garage on site (located beside the secondary entrance) which is multifunctional and could be converted into a large home office (S.P.P.) if needs be.
The Curragh Racecourse, spiritual home of Flat racing in Ireland and considered to be one of the finest racetracks in the world, is situated only 13 km away. Home of the Classics, the Curragh Racecourse is steeped in history and tradition where racing dates back to the 1720’s on the Curragh plain. The Curragh Plains, consisting of about 5,000 acres of unenclosed commonage with flat to gentle rolling grassland, is also a great place for walking, running and outdoor activities.
Punchestown (5 km), home of Irish national hunt racing, and Naas (3 km) racetracks are both within a short distance of the property where top class horse racing can be enjoyed throughout the year.
Golfing enthusiasts are well catered for locally with Craddockstown Golf Club (4 km), Naas Golf Club (8 km), Palmerstown Golf Club (8 km), Killeen Golf Club (11 km), The Royal Curragh Golf Club (14 km), Castlewarden Golf & Country Club (14 km), and The K-Club (former host of the Ryder Cup) at Straffan (14 km). Other courses in the area include Cill Dara Golf Club (18 km), Carton House (29 km) and The Heritage (36 km). There is a choice of hunting packs within boxing distance, including the Kildare Hunt and the South Kildare Hunt.
Naas (1.5 km ) has an abundance of facilities, including restaurants, hotels, pubs, supermarkets, and a hospital. Four-star hotels Lawlors (2 km) and Killashee Hotel (3.5 km) are located nearby also. Neighbouring town Newbridge (10 km) extends the facilities available including the four-star Keadeen Hotel, Newbridge Silverware, and Ireland’s largest regional shopping centre, Whitewater.
Kildare Town (20 km) is home to The Irish National Stud together with The Japanese Gardens and St. Fiachra’s Garden, one of the country’s main tourist attractions. Saint Brigid’s Cathedral and Round Tower sit centrally in the town. Kildare Village Outlet (19 km), situated just outside the town, is a renowned luxury brand shopping destination and is nestled within beautiful, landscaped grounds.
A variety of primary and secondary schools serve the local area including private schools Newbridge College (9 km) in nearby Newbridge and private boarding at Clongowes Wood College (14 km) in Clane.
There are also excellent transport facilities within easy reach including numerous bus routes and Sallins & Naas train station (5 km) nearby. Importantly, Dublin Airport is about a 40-minute drive away.
BER number: 116474255