Slaney Manor is a unique and compact residential estate featuring a fine period house, a converted courtyard and a restored castle, all occupying a private, yet accessible situation close to the bustling town of Wexford. A key feature of the property is its elevated situation overlooking the River Slaney along with about 38 acres / 15 hectares of grounds.
The manor house was designed to maximise on the panoramic views, built overlooking the gently rolling grounds, the nearby River Slaney and surrounding countryside.
The present owners have adapted and expanded the accommodation to create a successful wedding venue with extensive bedroom accommodation. The castle function room has a capacity for 260 guests, while the venue can provide bedroom accommodation for 88 guests in total.
The extent and layout of the internal accommodation of the castle offers the opportunity for a purchaser to adapt its use, subject to obtaining the necessary planning permission.
Slaney Manor House
Slaney Manor House occupies a prominent, elevated situation at the north of the estate. It is entered via a bell-mouthed, stone wall with piers and steel gates. A sweeping tar-sealed driveway flanked with beautiful trees terminates at a spacious parking area in front of the house. Slaney Manor House is a fine three-bay, two-storey over part raised basement country house, believed to date from 1833.
External features of the house include a hipped slate roof and a single-storey porch with impressive stonework.
The current owners have significantly restored the house during their ownership. The detail and finishes are notable with the accommodation suitable for family living and entertaining on a grand scale. Notable internal period features include panelled doors with architraves, decorative fireplaces, cornicing, decorative ceilings and picture rails.
This light-filled, spacious accommodation is of generous and elegant proportions. The property extends to about 12,916 square feet (1,200 square metres).
The accommodation is set over three floors. On the lower ground floor (which offers access for a wheelchair) there are two family bedroom suites, two further bedroom suites and a range of service rooms. The formal reception rooms are on the ground floor with the drawing room and dining room off the inner hall. A feature of the property is the self-contained owner’s accommodation on the ground floor which includes a bedroom suite, sunroom, sitting room and opens to the kitchen which is fitted out for commercial use. A lift connects to the lower ground floor, ground and first floor levels. To the rear of the house is a garage, tool shed and store.
On the first-floor level, there are five bedrooms, all en suite. The original staff quarters, now comprising four suites, are located on the second floor.
Situated to the south of the house and accessed off the main driveway is the original stone courtyard of outbuildings which have been masterfully restored and converted by the current owners, providing about 8,503 square feet (790 square metres) of accommodation.
The range of traditional farm buildings are laid out in a U-shape and provide additional guest accommodation on the estate. On the ground floor is a reception area, bar area, dining hall, commercial kitchen and functional service rooms. The courtyard comprises 27 bedroom suites in total which includes a self-catered apartment.
The bedrooms are laid out on both the ground and first floor as shown on the accompanying floorplans.
There are paved pathways and a central gravel courtyard. The building is constructed of hewn stone beneath slate and box profile roofs. It includes decorative red brick window surrounds.
Adjacent to the Courtyard is a parking area.
Fixtures & Fittings
All fixtures and fittings are excluded from the sale including garden statuary, light fittings, and other removable fittings, although some items may be available by separate negotiation.
The vendors would consider selling moveable items by separate negotiation at an additional price. Further information is available from the selling agents.
Slaney Manor, with an impressive outlook overlooking the Slaney River, is conveniently situated 1 km west of the junction of N11 and N25 which connects Rosslare ferry port (22 km) with Dublin. The estate is accessed off the N25, which links Wexford with Waterford city (56 km), and lies on the fringe of the town of Wexford (5.5 km).
Located in the south east of Ireland, County Wexford is known for its excellent verdant countryside, favourable climate, picturesque mountain ranges, white sandy beaches and charming character villages. Wexford is a county town in this area of the southeast of Ireland and is located at the mouth of the River Slaney. A harbour town, it is widely regarded for its rich arts scene and culture. It is also known for its medieval lanes and the opera festival held in the modern National Opera House. The festival is recognised worldwide for introducing new artists and audiences to the forgotten masterpieces. West Gate Heritage Tower is a restored 13th century toilgate. It is next to the old town walls and ruined 12th Century Selskar Abbey.
Wexford is a thriving town offering a large array of amenities and good transport links. There are daily train and bus departures from Rosslare Harbour (22 km) to Dublin. The recently-opened N11 motorway extension offers direct access to Dublin and shopping havens such as Dundrum Town Centre. Rosslare Europort (with a rail connection to Dublin Connolly), provides links from south-east Ireland to both Wales and France.
Sporting and recreational facilities are extensive with golf at and Wexford Golf Club (6.5 km), Rosslare Golf Club (19 km) and St Helen’s Bay Golf Club (22.5 km). There is also a local network of walks and rides with nearby footpaths and bridleways across the surrounding countryside and along the Slaney River.
History – Slaney Manor also known as Barntown House was developed by Thomas Perceval in the 17th century. Slaney Manor is not only of architectural importance but also of historic significance, with the house representing an important component of the early nineteenth-century domestic-built heritage of County Wexford.
Other historic connections of the Perceval family are believed to be Captain John Perceval (1837-1913) of the 17th Regiment of Foot and Edward Perceval who was the High Sheriff of County Wexford in 1798. The assassinated British Prime Minister, Spencer Perceval was also a family member. A succession of former owners and tenants, including Sir Frederick Hughes (1814-1895) and Lady Theodosia Hughes (1851-1931), Admiral David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty, plus Edward Blaise Crofton (1926-74) of Mote Park in County Roscommon.
The estate remains under private ownership. The present owners have resided in Slaney Manor for the past 30 years and fully renovated the estate during the 1990’s. It is presently run as a successful bed & breakfast business and a popular venue for weddings, banquets, corporate events and functions.
Kinsella Castle – A 12th Century Norman Castle adorned the Slaney Manor premises until it was believed to have been demolished about 150 years ago. Kinsella Castle is a magnificent building which was specifically designed in a medieval style to accommodate private functions, weddings and events. It also has an education area which includes nine classrooms, an office and toilet facilities. The building extends to about 13,454 square feet (1,250 square metres).
It is accessed off the main driveway and has a spacious parking area. Features include the stone construction (with the stone sourced from several derelict buildings situated in County Carlow), turrets and castellations.
On the ground floor of Kinsella Castle is a wonderful function room with seating for up to 260 people. The further ground floor accommodation includes a service counter/foyer centred upon an open, double-sided fire, commercial kitchen, service rooms and toilets. On the first floor, there are 4 bedroom suites (including a bridal suite) and a sitting room.
Another benefit of the premises is its License for the solemnisation of civil marriage ceremonies.
Mud-Cabin – Situated off the main driveway in a secluded area enclosed by mature woods is a charming building known as the Mud-Cabin. It is of clay construction beneath a pitched corrugated roof covered with thatch. The self-contained accommodation includes an open plan bedroom/sitting room/kitchen and shower room off.
Outbuildings – Situated to the rear of Kinsella Castle are two general purpose stores including a store specifically for firewood.
Grounds – Slaney Manor Estate extends to about 44 acres / 18 hectares in total and features formal gardens, parkland, mature trees and grazing paddocks.
The formal gardens surround the house and comprise areas of land, plus beds and borders which are well-stocked with flowering plants and shrubs. The remainder of the land includes parkland and grazing land. A feature of the estate is the variety of mature deciduous trees of mixed species.
A conacre agreement is in place with a local farmer for grazing of the farmland.
There is a good network of internal driveways passing through the estate and connecting the various buildings.
Slaney Manor House – BER Exempt
Courtyard – BER Exempt
Kinsella Castle – C3 BER No. 800485815