This is an unique opportunity to acquire a fine 18th century Georgian Country Manor House. Thomastown House which was built in circa 1730 and later extended in circa 1870 is approached by a long tree lined avenue, set on circa 5 acres in a superb parkland setting with stone courtyard stables, outbuildings and a walled garden.
The accommodation comprises of an entrance hall, drawing room, dining room, 2 kitchens, smoking room, 5 bedrooms, 1 ensuite and 1 bathroom, graveled courtyard, a large walled orchard, a stone coach house, tack room, and a cut stone stable.
While the current owners redid the roof in 2007 with the original Bangor slates, the house is in need of some renovation work. The property is listed and as such heritage grants may be applied for.
This fantastic piece of property is overlooking and nesting on the edge of a 100 acre Wildlife Sanctuary known as the “turloughnaroyey”, the 100 acre disappearing lake. It is in the midst of the North Galway Hunting country.
It is located adjacent to the village of Belclare where there is a pub/shop, school and church. Here the North Galway Foxhounds meet for their hunt. Tuam, a large town, is approximately five miles away and there is easy access to the Dublin motorway from here. Galway City is about 17 miles away.
Knockma Hill the great hill of Maeve the legendary Queen of Connacht can be seen from the house and is just a short distance away. Three separate walking trails can be enjoyed here.
Thomastown House and it’s grounds are protected/listed structures and have been identified as one of the “Gentleman’s seats” in the parish of Belclare. The earliest identifiable architectural features in and around the house date it to the 1740s but there are numerous structural anomalies that strongly suggest the fabric of the building contains elements from at least 100 years prior to this date circa 1640s. This we are informed has been confirmed by architectural historians. These several building phases are represented by the original 18th C wing and a substantial 19th C extension, lending the house a beautiful sense of character, age and continuity.
There is a second unused and overgrown tradesman’s entrance to the rear. The main courtyard to the rear houses the larger of the outbuildings, stables, tack room, carriage shed, etc. Adjoining this courtyard there is a second yard now overgrown and disused with former stables, milking parlour, piggery and other miscellaneous stone buildings leading to the “Haggard”, an Irish term for an open air hay/corn yard with a large stone cart house and the original stone corn stands (also known as rock stands, staddle stones or mushroom stones). It is thought that not many more than a dozen sets of these corn stands remain intact in Ireland. Beyond this lies the walled garden where the original cruciform layout of the garden can still be made out. The wall contains a beautiful old wrought iron pedestrian gate under a stone arch.
This property would make an ideal family home being an easy commute to Tuam and Galway city and it is close to the motorway for Dublin. It offers peace and tranquility with ample outbuildings which could be converted to studios, etc. subject to the necessary planning permits.